How much space do rats need in a cage?
We develop This Rat Cage Calculator for new pet rat lovers, who did not know how many rats can be held by a cage. It permits 2.5 cubic feet space per rat. It provides results in such accuracy that an experienced rat owner will be happy to see. It did not calculate the number of shelves, toys, and hammocks in the cage. You can use your cage with full potential due to this feature.
What size should a rat cage be?
Rats require a lot of Space. The minimum recommended size of cage for 1 rat is 28cm x 14cm x 17cm, however bigger is best is always suggested to enable a best space using accessories/toys, in the same way much space require for climbing and exercise . Space of Bars more than 17cm is crazy thing because it produce threat of escape. Rats requires safe house in cage so that they sleep and hide in comfort and peace.
Please input all units in inches. If you need a conversion, 1 inch is about 2.5 centimeters.
Other Information About Mouse Cage Calculator :
- The program assumes 2.5 cubic feet of space per rat. This is equivalent to a 15.25″x15.25″x15.25″ cube.
- For 1.5 cubic feet of space (a 13.8″x13.8″x13.8″ cube), multiply the cage calculator answer by 1.3.
- For 1 cubic foot of space (a 12″x12″x12″ cube), multiply the cage calculator answer by 2.
This means for a 24″x24″x24″ cage:
- The cage calculator says 4 rats.
- For 1.5 cubic feet per rat, the cage is big enough for 5.3 rats (4*1.3)
- For 1 cubic foot per rat, the cage is big enough for 8 rats (4*2)
See our rat cages compared and reviews post for cages that keep a lot of rats
Note, It is your responsibility to provide the happy home to give comfort to your pet, not just providing minimum space for surviving.Rat Cage Size main point which needs to keep in mind before final any cage. It will be the great idea to keep rats in huge space where they can interact with humans. It will develop better pets and more character.